Wednesday, 30 November 2005

Something before I zzzZZZzzz

After a highly enjoyable and exhilarating ECG class with Dr. Tang, he asked me what I thought of the class... so I answered very truthfully.... I felt very "enlightened" and motivated to study the subject even more... then I told him that I have the problem of remembering stuff...

He replied me by saying that "studying medicine is not about memorizing" and that it's by seeing patients in the ward. He said that he noticed the difference between students here and overseas (he did his MD in Australia) was that overseas students don't read their textbooks very much, but they love spending their time in the wards... "they are less inhibited, so they enjoy talking to patients"... what he meant was that students here most probably have the wrong concept of studying medicine... bookworms...

I have to agree quite a lot with him... I admit I always feel reluctant and terribly insecure about approaching a patient in the ward... there's this feeling inadequacy, so I retreat by hiding behind my books, which I have made into my comfort zone. It's only this year in my final year that I've learnt to be less "inhibited".

Tomorrow would be a long day.... 4 hours of psychiatry and then another cardiology class with Dr. Tang in the afternoon... then I'm oncall tomorrow night.... then I have a 8am bedside teaching the following day with Dr. Tang again.... hey, it's cardiology week.

Have to go ZZZzzzzZZZZ. My eyes are already out of focus.... good night!

No comments:

Blog Archive