Sunday, 27 November 2005

Advent

Luckily there was only ONE patient in the Cardiac Care Unit (CCU) last night, and about a dozen in the Cardiothoracic Ward (CTW)... meaning less work for me, and meaning more cardiac patients would be able to spend their weekend at home.

So I followed up on the patient in the CCU and updated our group file (we have a file on all the patients so that whoever on call can updated it), examined some patients in the CTW and practiced some ECG interpretation with my colleague, before retiring for the night... before that I informed her that I won't be coming for the Sunday morning ward round... I've decided that I wanted to rest before the new daunting new week ahead... and she assured that it was ok... so I told not to worry... I'll bear any consequence myself... I'll make sure the whole group won't be affected. So far no news from my group members, so... I'll just see what happens tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll be on Male Medical Ward rotation. That would be great because I'll be seeing a variety of cases, instead of just cardiac cases... but tomorrow we'll be starting off with a bedside with the infamous Prof. Chew Peng Hong! Cheryl's dad... Cheryl's a classmate of mine back in school... Prof. Chew's famous for his eccentricity, but I've always enjoyed his teachings, because he approaches medicine very differently from all other doctors that have thought me... he's definitely not exam-oriented, which makes him not very popular with majority of my friends (who prefers exam-oriented lecturers)...

Basically, he's always thinking outside the box... and I'm always caught in a delightful surprise by his sudden burst of ideas! Then I always remember whatever he's taught me, because he's a genius in making a point! Very animated, very intimidating, extremely confident... untouchable... and he's the type of lecturer that if I get a blasting from, I wouldn't feel offended, I'd work even harder to prove myself.

So I can't wait for the surprise that's in store for me tomorrow! :)

Yesterday was an extremely taxing day... I was at CCU 7+ then, rushed for lecture 9.30am at my faculty, which lasted until 1.15pm!!! I could only pay attention until around 11+... then I was day-dreaming most of the remaining 2 hours. Then when I finally got home, I only had energy to watch House on AXN and finally dozed off and waking up in time for mass... after mass, went for a speedy dinner (10mins) alone at Thompson's corner, then off again to the wards.... came home, dozed in front of the TV and slept until 10am this morning!

I didn't even see Elena's sms until late this morning.... I promised her to bring her for a dinner or something today.... she's leaving Tuesday morning for Tasmania after her 10-week elective posting in SGH...

Thought of going for a haircut, maybe after laundry I may just drop by my usual saloon. I can't believe that I didn't do laundry for more than one week! That's a first... cause I'm quite "pantang" to see a piling laundry... I usually do every 3 to 4 days...

This morning, over brunch I was chatting with my parents... we were talking mostly about the sermon last night.... we went to different churches, so we sort of compared the points that the 2 different priests were making (because the theme is the same in all the churches)... and strangely, last night I was very impressed upon... about what Advent (Merriam-Webster Dictionary: the period beginning four Sundays before Christmas and observed by some Christians as a season of prayer and fasting) was all about to Chrsitians... can you believe it? I'm a christian all my life, and only now I realized what it means....

But I'm very happy all the same... gave me a little boost to my disposition, gave me a little hope, gave me a little joy in facing whatever is in store for me tomorrow...

So I guess Dr. Gan the psychiatrist, was not wrong to dismissed religion as "something" humans use to help them face fear... as "something" to help them through the passages of life, like greast loss, death, suffering... but the more I listen to him, the more I'm not sure he's an atheist.... so I think he's lost too....

I was at Sue's blog... quite surprise that she's resigning... but I really hope the best for her! My dear Sue Yii, enjoy your holidays!

A little 'hi' to..... Chris, Doreen, Soon Ching.... "add oil!"..... Jo, *hugs*....

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sharon! wowow you were so busy for the past few days. Hey did you know KC and the rest went to Kpg Tebakang today? Bad news is, we missed this oppurtunity. But good news is, we can still go again on Hari Raya Haji. So let's go then! *HUGS*

sharon said...

When you say "the rest", did you mean our Tebakang group or the other groups that went to Tebakang? If it's our group, then I'm very offended that they didn't invite us. But anyways, I'd rather go with you and Doreen anytime! :)

Anonymous said...

All went except u,Doreen,KH,CL,Dayang and me... There was some misunderstanding in btw. Wil tel you when meet. Long long stories... haha! Take care :P Till we meet again.

Blog Archive