Wednesday, 9 November 2005

Another friend got hooked!

I didn't want the "high" of the camp just disappear this morning, so I made a point to be happy and before I went off to the hospital, I said a little prayer... and today I believe that it takes so much more that trying to be in a good disposition... it takes so much more faith!

My head was spinning in the morning because I'm still trying to cut down caffeine so I had a quarter of a what I usually have, then when we were about to start bedside teaching with Dr. Ng, I tried my hardest to treat my colleagues like fellow adults... I had to give them a few instructions by Dr. Ng for our 2-hour bedside... then Adeline (as usual always acting autonomously) ran off somewhere... then I asked if anyone wanted to present any long case... no one wanted to... so I told Dr. Ng who then gave further instruction for us to look for as many short cases as possible in all the 4 paediatric wards... when we all got back Adeline suddenly said she wanted to present a long case, to Dr. Ng's amazement... "I thought your leader said you guys didn't want to present any long cases..." "They didn't ask me..." she replied...

In my nicest possible way, I answered, "It's because you didn't even have the courtesy to listen to my announcement and questions (in my head, I was thinking I should "kena" her in the next posting and make her group leader!)... did you expect me to run around chasing you? You were the only one who ran off when I had something to tell the group..." In my mind I was thinking later that if she had wanted to present her "very interesting" case (according to her) she should have announced it to the group before the bedside began or at least informed me, like during other bedsides... she clerked the case last night with the intention to present it anyways! But I kept my cool...

I also realized how hard is it for a drug addict to kick off their habits! I knew going cold turkey was a really bad strategy for me... remember the last couple of days at camp? So I figured I'll cut down to 1 or 2 cups... but I think it's not really working as well... I usually have 6-7 cups, so maybe cutting down to 1 or 2 is too drastic? I have this naggy headache, yawning marathon, irritability???

I guess the highlight of my day, despite the really, really bad withdrawal symptoms would be getting a reply from Martin! He again came in at the perfect time! My messenger of hope, as I called him in camp.

Then feeling much better, I made my way back to the wards in the afternoon to have my one and only supervisor meeting with 3 of my other colleagues... Dr. Ng was really nice... he gave quite a good continuous assessment mark, so that would really help... then I intended to walk back home from the hospital, but it was only 3pm and the sun was still blazing, so I thought better against it because I didn't bring my umbrella and didn't want another PMLE.

So now I'm contemplating whether I want to join the praise meet tonight... my heart yearns for it, but my mind says that I should stay back and study, study, study! But logically staying home tonight to study won't make a whole lot of difference, really... it's just that uneasiness or guilt of not studying that would really bug me... anyways, I think I better pray about it.

Then I heard great news from Jo just an hour ago! Our long-time friend, Ben Foo has gotten hooked last Saturday! Congratulations Ben! Wonder when I get to meet his wife? She's from West Malaysia I heard. Heard they are coming back to Kuching end of this month.

The headache's back... need to go... cheers!

No comments:

Blog Archive