Sunday, 13 November 2005

Funny bone!

About 16 more hours to go before my final paediatric exam of my life as a medical student! (unless of course I flunk the whole year and have to repeat the whole final year... ssshhh!!) I mean it doesn't include my final professional exam where paediatric would be included as well, but I mean pure paediatrics, so I'm pretty psyched about it!

Actually I'm writing just to psyche myself...I want to get into the mood of wanting to push, and that mood of squeezing the last few words onto the answer sheet as the clock tick 10 seconds into the end of the paper... and I want to be proactive, but collected and unmoved and unperturbed by the usually rowdy colleagues after each paper, discussing what they should have and shouldn't have answered....

I have MCQ, MEQ, BAQ, OSCE tomorrow... technically I have 4 papers, but OSCE is "station" exam... we move from one station to another, each station lasting 5 mins... there should be 10 stations, I think... I'm fine with theory papers, because there's really nothing to fear or not fear about, because anything and everything could come out, so no point sweating over it.... I'm more worried about Tuesday's clinical exam.... 1 long case and 2 short cases... it's usually the unbearable embarassment that I feel towards the examiners (who are are our university lecturers and SGH specialists...) if I can't answer the questions or I make a silly mistake... if they are external examiners (whom we don't get to see after the exam) then it's really fine...

But I'm coping quite well... usually before any major exams, I would experience some form of sympathetic overdrive, but so far no restlessness, altered bowel habits, altered "bladder" habits, no odd behaviours at home...

I woke up 6.30am this morning to get ready for mass... didn't feel the connection I was hoping for, but I did enjoy the singing very much.... I was actually day-dreaming away during mass about how much fun caroling would be next month! I'm planning to join the same group last year, if they would have me.... apparently the church have urged the groups to limit the number of carolers so as not to embarass the houses that were too small to accomodate the big groups... and I can't see how my spot can be guranteed, not exactly one of the super supranos or sultry altos... just have to keep my fingers crossed.

When I got back from church this morning I was surprised to see multiple missed calls on my phone from an unfamiliar number.... then an sms from the same number... it was Geryl! Called him back immediately because the whole scenario reaked urgency...

He had some bad news... his cousin succumbed after a 14-hour eye operation to remove a tumour... I don't really know the details and didn't ask over the phone because it didn't seem appropriate at that moment.... but anyways he was trying to get hold of me to ask me where he could buy formalin...

But the whole conversation was really funny when I thought about it back... he started off by telling me that he was trying to get hold of me to ask about where to get cheaper formalin... he didn't mention first about his cousin's passing... he said that the hospital morgue was selling it very expensive...

"What does he need formalin for?" *creepy*

I think he took a while more before revealing about his cousin... then he said he managed to contact Connie, and said a few more things about her, but I couldn't really concentrate because I was like, "Oh ok, that's what he need the formalin for..." :) Muahaha!

Geryl, no offence, but I think it's just me... *apologetic*

I'm really sorry about your cousin... Will catch up with you later this week...

During the last bedside teaching with Dr. Hii on Thursday, a colleague presented a case of food poisoning in a family of 8 during the Raya celebration... and everyone was contributing some differential diagnosis, then I suddenly said, "Maybe somebody tried to poison the whole family!" Everyone just looked at me for a brief moment, and waited for Dr. Hii's response... luckily she was like, "Yes, that's a possibility..." but she had a little puzzled, and maybe also an amused look on her face....

I believe humans are humans... we are capable of anything... I have to admit I thought of poisoning somebody in school last time.... muahahahahha!!!

Ok, cheers people, before too many skeletons fall out from my closet!

No comments:

Blog Archive