Thursday, 1 June 2006

Church of man

For those who have been in Kuching for the couple of days leading to Gawai, you would know that it's been insanely hot. Todays' no different. So when my parents asked me to join them for daily mass, I was reluctant but eventually agreed, despite the uncomfortable heat.


So this was what I wore to mass just now. Still felt warm because the fan inside the church was just recycling the warm air. Then after mass, a nun (with her full habit) tapped my left shoulder and started (nicely) lecturing me about my innapropriate top.

"Please respect God. Some priests won't give you communion (the bread) if you wear that."

I was like, "Oh, ok..." But in my mind I was thinking screw her. It's fucking hot so it's only common sense that we dress comfortably. Seriously, I don't think what I was wearing was innapropriate/sexy/vulgar or whatever she was offended by.

I thought she should be saying, "God bless you my child... it's so good of you to come for daily mass..." There were only about 20 people in the whole church for the mass just now.

But later my aunt told me that the nun was a bit off. That's why everyone was avoidng her (which I didn't notice). She once barbequed a cat for a priest she was cooking for.

Anyways... whether that's true or not, which didn't matter, she still told me off in public just now, and she must have gotten the idea from somewhere in the church, I'm just so turned off sometimes by the do's and don't's (man-made mind you) of the church.

Which reminds me of how disturbed I was when a priest was telling a group of us (working youths) about the theory of relativism in particular about how wrong it is to think that "it doesn't mater what religion you have as long as you do good".

I was sooo disturbed during that session that I actually jotted down a lot of questions on piece of paper to ask the priest , but he had to leave immediately after the session to rush for another appointment. But I haven't forgotten. I'm still keeping the paper.

What the hell is wrong with accepting that sometimes it doesn't matter what religion you practice as long as you respect each other and do right by the people who your are sharing your breathing space with?

Whatever. God blessed and graced us with common sense, so we must use it right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts but...

My two cents on this:

"What the hell is wrong with accepting that sometimes it doesn't matter what religion you practice as long as you respect each other and do right by the people who your are sharing your breathing space with?" - Nothing wrong with really accepting and loving those around you who chose another religion, that is good imho. I don't think the priest meant that there was anyting wrong in that. I am sure the church is very much into caring and loving for one and all. By relativisim, it is not really a theory. It is the practice of ascribing to relativism while being a catholic is wrong. We have a cathechism from the church and we have to follow it. It is part of the catholic faith to actually follow the directions of the church for in accepting Jesus we accept his church too. As a catholic it cannot be right to do something that is sinful even though everyone else does it in society as we have accepted Christ. He has given authority to his disciples Peter and the rest and their successors to lead the church on earth, by giving them the grace of the Holy Spirit (Acts).

"I'm just so turned off sometimes by the do's and don't's (man-made mind you) of the church." - I am not sure which rules you are talking about but I hope you are not really turned off by the cathechism of the church. I just think that you have to remember the church has the ability to make such "rules" John 20, 19-23.

sharon said...

thanks for taking the time to write the feedback.

it's appreciated eventhough it's unpalatable to me at the moment.

i still disagree that it is wrong to practise relativism as a catholic. we don't go all the way out to prove that relativism works, but compromise, compromise.

sometimes religion blinds people to the "real picture"... which i'm sure is another debatable issue to you (or not)...

it's a vicious cycle in my mind, but i hope that i live my life doing right by God and by the people around me.

that matters above all...

thanks!

Blog Archive