Monday, 5 June 2006

Rejected again.

The blood bank rejected me this time because in the 4-page questionnaire I answered "Yes" in whether I have had any tatoo/ear-peircing/something I don't remember what done in less than a year. And Geryl got rejected because he finished a course of antibiotics about a week ago (they say must be at least 2 weeks).

I felt kinda silly because 1) I looked like an idiotic medical student, and 2) It was my first first time donating blood directly to the blood bank (the previous 3 times I did it during a blood donation drive in campus, where they only screen you for hemoglobin level and take your contact no. to trace you later if anything comes up from further screening like hepatitis) so I was not aware of all the retrictions. :(

So the MA said just now, "See you in October!" before I left because I told him I had my tatoo done in October 2005. :(

But the strange thing is that the "screening" process done just now was kinda strange... why? Let me cerita.

They gave us a list of criteria to fulfilll before proceeding to fill a 4-page form, which were mostly repetition of the initial list, and some extra. Then the counter directed us to the next screen station which consisted of measuring my BP and pricking my finger to test for hemoglobin. He collected 2 drops of my blood unto the strip which immediately got seeped into the whole strip and slide it into the Hb machine.Then he looked through my form and suddenly exclaimed, "Yes?!"

Then he pointed at the ...tatoo/ear-piercing/something I don't remember what... and asked me which is it I had done... so I said "tatoo"... "When?" he asked, wide-eyed. "Ermm.. October 2005, during the raya holidays!" I answered cheefully. Then he shooked his head in dismay and apologized that I have to be rejected.

Then the hemoglobin machine flashed 15.2...

Damn I was so disappointed, even tried to bargain by saying that the tattoo artist was my cuz and I was sure that he used a disposable needle. Stupid medical student. :)

I was just so desperate to donate blood.

My point is they could have save their 4-page form, lancet and a strip for the hemoglobin, and 15mins of our time if they had put everything in the initial list. For me I was quite happy to get my Hb level checked... 15g/dL... wow that's good, but really la the system is not very cost and time effective.

So, now I'm "barred" from donating blood until October... *sob*

But at least today I've found something to look forward to this holiday! Will start this Saturday. I won't tell more about it until it materializes, but I can' wait! :) Just let say it's something strenous, sweaty and even painful, but exhilarating! Muahahahah!

Cheers people!

No comments:

Blog Archive