Wednesday, 15 February 2006

From my album (20) School Health Team

My colleagues and I participated in one of the school health programmes in the interiors of Sarawak... the team is manned by Medical Assistants and nursing staff, no doctors, so many of these children have never seen a doctor in their lives, unless they require hospitalization... what strucked me most during this health education session (when they were advised on proper teeth-brushing, hair and nail care, etc.) was when they were asked about their ambitions, they only said 2... teacher or "dressar" (medical assistant)... when asked whether anyone wanted to be a doctor, they all looked at each other, puzzled. :D It just goes to show that it doesn't really matter how great you are, it's what you actually do/contribute that matters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awhhhhh... damn it sharon!!! so sweeetttt... i'm touched... i really like tiz one a lot... the kids, ambitions, being puzzled... and ur absolutely right about what matters most... how we touch people in a way...
p/s: kudos to the team... the unsung heroes of today...

sharon said...

I'm very happy that this affected you like this... :)

Anonymous said...

I actually experienced the same thing when I was teaching at Sematan last 2 years. When asked, most of the students would mention "misi", "cikgu" or "askar" as their ambitions. No one mentioned doctor, architect or engineer. It saddens me to know how limited their perception is. And these are supposed to be the future of my own race. :|

Blog Archive