Saw an interesting case in the ward today, a 30-year-old male construction worker, no history of medical illness presented with 1-day history of left-sided upper and lower limb weakness... on examination, he had normal tone and reflexes but his power was 4/5 in both his left upper and lower limbs. He also had glove-and-stoking sensory loss. Baffled the clinicians as well... but I really hated Dr. Fred for immediately labeling the poor man as a "malingerer". He seemed very uncomfortable in the ward... why would he want to malinger, and prolong his stay in the hospital? Dr. Fred is malingering as a doctor.
I really don't know why I volunteered to present on antibiotics for tomorrow. *stupid* It was a result of my reaction towards my poor colleagues who had to present HIV, TB, Candidiasis, Dengue fever, Malaria, Leptospirosis, etc.... all in 2 hours! Stupid Dr. Ye... one of them have to present something on HIV (which is A LOT!) and also the antibiotic thingy.... so I immediately, as a spinal cord reaction, volunteered to present instead. So stupid. But I'm planning to keep it for next week... I don't care... I'll just tell Dr. Ye that it's too much for one afternoon, better save it for another session... I'm sure my colleagues would thank me for it.
Something that is peculiar to me happen this evening... I received a sms informing about a certain Dr who wanted to meet all the "chinese students"... I was half-hearted to go because I've always been uncomfortable with this racial segregation thingy.... It had the same aura as when a "Malay lecturer" giving "extra classes" to "Malay students"... the same aura.... but I went because I have to see that Dr quite often because of my posting. So I walked from my house to the faculty and met him in the library with my other "chinese" colleagues... he gave us each a pen and a Christmas cum invitation card to his church for Christmas service...
Liked the pen... but I really felt that I shouldn't have gone... it's meaningless.... he didn't even make eye contact or make any conversation with some of us.... he was chatting away with one or 2 students... it's not envy you know, it's just very silly and uncomfortable... it's like I'm getting the pen and the card because I happened to be there.
But I'm giving him the benefit of doubt that he's really sincere...
Let me quote Connie's favourite word... cynical.... Am I being cynical?
From my angle right now, looking at the whole scenario, I should be happy that I got a free pen. :)
Ok, that's settle.... at least I got a great workout! House-to-faculty, and back! Each way took me about 15-20mins depending on the traffic, because it's pretty hard to cross the road with a heavy jam.... but I think it lack cardio workout... wasn't brisk enough to optimize my heart rate... and I'm starting some abdominal crunches daily... about 100 a day. Hope I can keep this up.
Then I met another colleague who said that he liked my "diary" on the internet.... meaning my blog la.... that's funny too... this is in no way a diary... by definition, yes... but, based on what I'm capable of writing, I'd rather not have my blog as my "diary"... too dangerous... :)
Tonigh have to cover "basics". I can't keep anything down. I was great with ECG on my first week... now I can't remember much.... was quite well-versed with infectious topics the other day, now I can't remember shit... so back to basics tonight.... oh ya, can't remember JVP waves too this morning.... *sigh*
What the hell I'm doing.... where's the leak?
Then heard from an old friend last weekend, whom I think is living in a winter wonderland, and he's making me nauseous... and my gut feeling tells me to "ignore" him and let him do whatever he wants as long as he doesn't ask me for my opinion or ask me what to do... does that make me a lousy friend? Because I would probably make him disturbed with my opinion, so isn't it a "friendlier" thing to do by ignoring him? At least that helps me to maintain any ounce of respect left that I have for him.
Ok, enough for now... have to malinger tonight as a good student.
Bonne nuit!
No comments:
Post a Comment