I just got back from my oncall.
A 53-year-old man presented just 4 days ago with unresolved fever, loss of appetite and loss of weight (almost 15kg in 1 month)... all this in about 1 month duration. He was scheduled for a laparatomy for removal of para-aortic lymph nodes in a couple of days. His provisional diagnosis was lymphoma.
He wasn't my patient actually, and I haven't got around to check his case out just yet (there are currently about 60 patients in the ward... so....)... but just now as I was talking a man who came in with right leg swelling with pain after a snake bite.... the busy, but orderly ward and its very business-like staff and patients' relative moving in and out the cubicles... the ward was shattered by the most gut-wrenching wailing and crying and screaming, and the MO-on-call came over to the bed where I was together with a HO and instructed the HO to take the approprite measures as the 53-year was "slipping away"...
The crying and wailing continued....
I made my way to the mentioned patient's bed and saw his family surrounding him, grabbing on to his arms and legs and a lady, who's obviously the man's wife, clasping both her hands on her husband's face, and she was crying, her face tear-stained, and she could hardly catch her breath.
The HO and another nurse wheeled in an ECG machine and tried to persuade the family members to release the frail man... his heart was still beating, but it was too slow, and after about 2 minutes, the lifeline went flat.... asystole (pulseless)... the HO auscultated for heart beat and breath sounds... none spontaneous... shone a torch over his eyes and declared they were unresponsive and dilated.... and she gave a nod to one of the man's family members who looked the most composed and seemed the most in control of the situation... she mouthed silently to the HO... "Gone?".... the HO noded and started to carefully remove the chest pads...
And the informed family member put her arms around the man's wife and squeeze her shoulders and told her that her husband's passed... the wife gasped weakly and started crying again, but his time very somberly, as if she's raised her white flag... a younger female relative fainted and had to be carried by a male cousin out of the ward.
Of course I wasn't affected by the man's passing.... he was very sick... he had a terminal illness..., and I didn't know the poor man... but the problem was I didn't know how to behave in front of the relatives and I avoided eye contact with them... I didn't know how I should appropriately conduct myself in front of the deceased family members... I felt awkward...
It reminded me of my grandma's passing... I didn't feel sad... she had renal failure... and she was 87 years old, lived with diabetes and hypertension for 3 decades... so it wasn't unexpected... but I felt uncomfortable and was afraid I might be disrespectful if I don't show any mourning or something.... so I was disturbed throughout the whole thing....
On a Christian point of view, death should be celebrated in the sense that death represents "going home"... but then again, I don't have that much feeling about that respect...
I just feel that life is not life without death... so to only be recognized as once lived and dwelled on earth, someone has to die first, to put it bluntly.
I'm not afraid that I might die... there's no question of fear of death... it's more the question of how I might die... Of course I want an instant death, painless, non-mutilating to my body, hopefully not in an unnatural way, so that there's no need for an autopsy.
I love to perform post-mortems, but there's never a moment that I don't remind myself that the "body" used to be "someone" who had wanted in life dignity and respect.
Have to stop here. Have to read-up for tomorrow. Bonne nuit.
Thursday, 1 December 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
►
2013
(1)
- ► April 2013 (1)
-
►
2011
(3)
- ► February 2011 (3)
-
►
2010
(6)
- ► February 2010 (1)
- ► January 2010 (3)
-
►
2009
(23)
- ► November 2009 (3)
- ► March 2009 (4)
- ► February 2009 (6)
- ► January 2009 (8)
-
►
2008
(84)
- ► December 2008 (5)
- ► November 2008 (15)
- ► October 2008 (12)
- ► September 2008 (12)
- ► August 2008 (2)
- ► April 2008 (4)
- ► March 2008 (6)
- ► January 2008 (5)
-
►
2007
(43)
- ► December 2007 (2)
- ► November 2007 (3)
- ► October 2007 (3)
- ► September 2007 (2)
- ► April 2007 (3)
- ► March 2007 (3)
- ► February 2007 (5)
- ► January 2007 (9)
-
►
2006
(265)
- ► December 2006 (7)
- ► November 2006 (6)
- ► October 2006 (5)
- ► September 2006 (21)
- ► August 2006 (47)
- ► April 2006 (21)
- ► March 2006 (7)
- ► February 2006 (50)
- ► January 2006 (26)
-
▼
2005
(76)
-
▼
December 2005
(29)
- Feeling sadistic
- Keeping up
- My "last" Christmas
- Merry Christmas everybody!
- Coughing my life out
- *cough* *cough*
- We are all malingerers
- Train of thoughts
- The guardian angel on my right shoulder and the st...
- Musings
- We are all robots
- Capital punishment
- Let me explain myself
- Could I have Type A personality?
- Time for myself
- Hugh Jackman: Object of my fascination
- George Clooney: Object of my fascination
- Panda dog
- *sigh*
- How about me?
- One of those lacklustre days
- Ralph Fiennes: Object of my fascination
- Inappropriately happy
- Sam was ugly, but adorable!
- My lungs anyone? I don't smoke.
- Genetically rude
- Death from Sharon's angle
- Dinner, bath, oncall...
- Breakfast entry
- ► November 2005 (39)
- ► October 2005 (8)
-
▼
December 2005
(29)
2 comments:
Hey there Dr... how are you??? =)
good post, honest entry... ur right in your opinion which everybody is entitled to...
Professionalism is something that we have to grow acustomed to in the adult and working world... but then again isn't treating people is about taking care of; and taking care of leads to the involvement of the emotional state and it doesn't hurt to be humanely attached to ur patient... it does help. At least from the patient's point of view... It helps that they will feel more secure cos they "knew" the dr, the staff nurse. They will have that bit of trust and confidence... which leads to them more at ease...after all, with that a little bit sense of knowing the person that treats u just put u with more faith towards ur dr...
So, regarding ur entry today... I just wanna say that being in ur position during the family's ordeal is quite frustrating and demoralising sometimes... but do i understand it??? well, I completely do... after all, I too suffered ur ordeal not once but 3 times this year!! except that I was from the family point of view... during this time.. sad, devastated, frustration, emotionally stressed and ANGER are felt... people tend to blame something and it is very easy to point fingers... Comfort are the most seekable item for the night...
For a dr to be quiet and stood there avoiding eye contact might make him look unattendable which might just increase the tense level... at this point ur action just might seem to be disrespectful (sorry)and ur conducting urself as though ur the guilty party (which of course we never blame the medical personnel)... when my relative died, we all tried our best to keep our composure... we tried to think rationally and act calm accepting reality... what we need is a straightforward dr that gives assurances and able to give clear explanation and being sympathetically about the it at the same time... At least by doing this u would show remorse and being respectable towards the decease even if u don't know him... after all, people don't want sympathy at that time but a little bit of help in facing reality... By doing interaction and having communication would help them be more compose and calm which does helps in order to seek the next of action...
U can start by asking what u can do, or you can help by telling them what course of action should be taken next (remember me and that Formalin thingy!!! now i find that hillarious!!!)... but of course, talk to the most calm relative at that moment or the one that resumes the leadership role...
But hey... i may be wrong... i was not there that particular time... but, these are the things u dun get to learn from the book, dun you think...
Cheers Shay... Take care now...
Thanks for your sharing. It's really comforting to hear from the "patient's" angle. At least for me, I know what sort of state you guys are in... it's more of the fear of the unknown... not knowing what the patient and his or her family want and expect from us. We never always get the same reaction from different families... there's always a surprise in store. Breaking "bad news" and comforting people who had just lost a loved one is an art, a complex subject by itself... something we are made to learn in the classroom, and something we learn the hard way in our work everyday.
Thanks again.
Post a Comment