Sunday, 4 December 2005

My lungs anyone? I don't smoke.

What caught my attention today during the respiratory update was the talk on lung transplantation... I've always had the intention to donate my organs if I happen to die prematurely, but the place that I am in, it's not really feasible... we do have lung transplantations going on in KL.... viability of the lungs is about 4 hours... so logistically, there's a difficulty in getting donor organs to the centre in KL from my place... and I believe the difficulty is the same for recipients residing in Sarawak and Sabah, to make their way to KL... I mean it's possible if one is staying near an airport... imagine living in the interiors of Sarawak.... Anyways, there' really nothing offered here by the hospital, any programme or any forms to pledge my organs, things like that... we are just not there yet...

It's not something cool or trendy... it's really something we ought to think about... many people perish while waiting for potential donors.... what we have here are mostly cadaveric organs... meaning we wait for people to die (from motor vehicle accidents primarily)... and many potential donors still face the difficulty of rejection from family members of the organs being donated. So it's a really very delicate situation.... I've expressed my intentions to my family once... and they were weary because they don't really know what to expect... and I at that time was also not well-versed about the subject... was just being idealistic... but after the talk to day, I'm making it a point to read up more about organ donations... and maybe I could educate my parents about it... and hopefully convince the other people around me to consider putting up their organs for donation when they die....

We should really focus on how our death/loss would mean a life to another person.... so simple to make the decision really... the greatest gift of all... and in regards to our family, mindsets can be changed....

Oh ya, imagine yourself to continue "living" when you die....

Cheers!

No comments:

Blog Archive