Friday, 25 August 2006

Book Review

THE PHILOSOPHY FILES by Stephen Law (see info)

What I like about the book:
It's very easy to read because English is simple and writer used a lot of dialogues to make most of his points. I thought that was excellent since the issues discussed were abstract and complex. The cute and cartoony illustrations were an added bonus. It's like reading "Philosophy for Dummies"! :) Each chapter, or called "File" in this book is independent of preceeding and subsequent chapters, so read the files in no particular order.

General impression of the book:
I do feel a little more intelligent after reading the book (muahahah!!!), only because I'm not a naturally inquisitive person, so it's like a bum's comprehensive handbook to all the philosophical questions they never bothered to ask themselves. :) So I had many moments of enlightenment while reading files on "Should I eat meat?", "Does God exist?" and 'Where do right and wrong come from?". But I won't say that it has affected me. The next time I would read this book again is when I'm hypomanic. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe, thanks for the review! we shud start reading and reviewing them online eh? Our own Oprah's Bookclub! :)

Anonymous said...

Goody! I like boohs that I can read in no particular order. :p

Will try to get it & thanks for the review. :D

Bren said...

kite runner kite runner kite runner kite runner...

sharon said...

yerdeh: yes, im really enjoying the whole experience! yes, our own book club!

jemima: enjoy!

bren: yes, i was reading your comment on the book in your blog and searching it online (click!)... sounds fantastic! will look out for it! you write la your review... :)

Bren said...

reviews are hard...i rarely do one coz i feel i gv d book enuf justice. :)

Blog Archive