5 years after the attack, I can still remember very vividly what I was doing when I heard about the attack on the World Trade Centre.
I was in my 1st year of medical studies, and was staying in campus. I was having an afternoon lecture and some of my guy colleagues asked us the girls to watch the news wherever we could find a telly as soon as possible.
Something big had happened.
I and my girlfriends rushed back to the common hall in the girls' hostel and sat in the jam-packed room to watch our local news coverage on the jumpy 21-inch telly.
The boys rushed to the study rooms in the faculty to go online to see the coverage.
It felt like watching some sci-fi war movie when I saw the 1st plane hit the tower. Goosebumps all over my body once I realized the enormity of the situation.
We continued to get updates from the boys who camped out at the study rooms (for internet connection) that night through sms.
Shock was my predominant feeling at that time... it was only during the weekend, when I got home and got to watch CNN's coverage, and when I found out about the 300 firemen who died when they rushed into the tower, that I felt like humanity was lost and unsalvageable.
Our generation will never truly recover from 9/11. Just like how the generation of the Holocaust and many generations after could never recover from that dark chapter of human history.
---
And as if Mother Nature was weeping and cursing at the senseless loss of lives, it's been a rainy and grey day here in Kuching today, with mid-afternoon lightning and thunder.
So needless to say, no swimming for me today. :(
And no letter, still, today. :(
But I do have my little blue collection to cheer me up. :)
3 comments:
I'm just wondering how many times do you go out & check your letterbox before the postman eventually delivers for the day.. hehe ;)
Whoa. You really do have lots of earrings :)
jemima: hehe. i don't need to go out to check at all... my doggie, pheobe functions as a sensor for postmen. :)
paul: yup, i can swim in them! :D
Post a Comment