I did 25 laps today!
The actual breast stroke is more tiring than MY version of the breast stroke. LOL! :D
But the real thing is faster because it's more efficient. And when I got the techniques right my shoulders and my head were nearer to the surface, just like Liesel Jones'.
"Swimming's not about strength, it's about technique..." Harold was explaining while constantly fine-tuning my technique.
And now my whole body's aching because of the work out.
Still kinda rough here and there... but I'm feeling very pumped. Can't wait to hit the water again tomorrow!
Harold also taught me how to skin dive even though I was a little apprehensive initially because of what I read about hyperventilation and shallow water blackout recently.
Scary.
It's like this put simply. People who skin dive tend to hyperventilate before diving. This causes the carbon dioxide level to drop, arresting hypoxic drive. Our body needs a certain level of carbon dioxide to trigger respiration. So when hypoxic drive gets arrested, the divers don't "feel" the need to breathe, hence they experience blackout because of cerebral hypoxia or the brain runs out of oxygen.
This causes, of course, the divers to drown, even in shallow waters.
I read too much sometimes.
But I gave it a go anyway, and I found it fun in fact!
"It's like child's play" I think Brenda mentioned once...
But it wasn't child's play for me... it was scary and quite a daunting prospect before my first attempt.
But couldn't do 25m, I think just about 15m. Will try again tomorrow.
Don't worry. This will pass. I'm not a swimming nerd now. It's just something that I never thought I would be doing, so now when I'm actually doing it, I just can't believe it.
I saw some 5 or 6-year-olds learning to swim too just now... so cute and so much fun! And I also saw their watchful parents by the poolside...
I'll make sure my kids get the chance to learn to swim if they want to as early as possible....
Hehe... my kids? Hehe..
It's really my dad's fault for being overprotective and having irrational fear of the water I guess. He's never let me swim into waters higher than my waist growing up.
That's why I never told him about swimming in rivers and waterfalls, boat rides in choppy seas, white-water rafting in Sg. Padas, snorkeling in Redang when I went on "trips" with friends.
So can you imagine what his reaction was when I told him I wanted to go kayaking and then scuba diving during my current holiday?
He claimed that I had very high risk interests... LOL!!! But that he couldn't stop me if I wanted to go ahead anyways...
That wasn't the answer I wanted. I wanted him to realize that I take every safety precautions seriously, and that I'm not reckless. I also wanted him to realize that when it's time for me to "go", whether before or after him, it's really up to Him.
And I also wanted him to see that my sister's lifestyle was more "high-risk" than mine.... smoking, drinking, clubbing, late nights driving home alone...
:)
That sort of talked sense into him. Now he's very supportive of my swimming endeavor, even bragging a little sometimes to his friends that I'm learning to swim, WHICH IS EMBARASSING.
Like 90% of the population can swim.
LOL!!!
That's just dad. I wish I can convince him to learn to swim. It's for him to feel a little empowerment.
Mum persistently declined because of the swim suit issue. :) Muahahah!!!
Ok. Better stop here. Can yak the whole night. Bonne nuit!
Thursday, 13 July 2006
The joy of learning to swim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
►
2013
(1)
- ► April 2013 (1)
-
►
2011
(3)
- ► February 2011 (3)
-
►
2010
(6)
- ► February 2010 (1)
- ► January 2010 (3)
-
►
2009
(23)
- ► November 2009 (3)
- ► March 2009 (4)
- ► February 2009 (6)
- ► January 2009 (8)
-
►
2008
(84)
- ► December 2008 (5)
- ► November 2008 (15)
- ► October 2008 (12)
- ► September 2008 (12)
- ► August 2008 (2)
- ► April 2008 (4)
- ► March 2008 (6)
- ► January 2008 (5)
-
►
2007
(43)
- ► December 2007 (2)
- ► November 2007 (3)
- ► October 2007 (3)
- ► September 2007 (2)
- ► April 2007 (3)
- ► March 2007 (3)
- ► February 2007 (5)
- ► January 2007 (9)
-
▼
2006
(265)
- ► December 2006 (7)
- ► November 2006 (6)
- ► October 2006 (5)
- ► September 2006 (21)
- ► August 2006 (47)
-
▼
July 2006
(28)
- Ear job
- *drool*
- Surprise birthday party
- It's "lesung" and what?
- New campus
- A visit to Mama's
- Baby dentition
- Hormones vs. Willpower
- Summary
- Swimming in the rain!
- More cuties
- Ranting and some more...
- Beautiful Sunday!
- New swimsuit & the stupid black butterfly
- The joy of learning to swim
- PADI certified!
- Breaststroke
- Nudibranch and new swimming watch
- Fringe benefits
- Pictures from 2nd open dive!
- Ginger Boy
- Cuteness!
- eeww...
- The square hat
- Just for fun!
- Fight club
- Overdose on antihistamine
- Sore toe
- ► April 2006 (21)
- ► March 2006 (7)
- ► February 2006 (50)
- ► January 2006 (26)
-
►
2005
(76)
- ► December 2005 (29)
- ► November 2005 (39)
- ► October 2005 (8)

3 comments:
hey sharon,
congrats on your padi license...hahaha...high risk interest huh? your dad prob hate me for this advice then...
try the tibao swing....our own Sarawakina game...learnt to play it recently and before long was diving off the top rungs already...quite easy just jump and grab the ropes hard...
Much regards...
Linus
I have no idea how to swim :p
linus: not interested if it doesn't give me work out. it will be a waste of time and not worth the risk. i'm so not talking to you after this. how come you didn't get back to me about the ranchang pool trip? i waited for you 2 on monday. :(
himu: as long as you can float and move in the water, i consider you can swim. :) we call it "kampung" (or village) style, which works as well as all the other conventional swimming techniques.
Post a Comment