Saturday, 15 April 2006

I didn't kiss the cross

I've always hated going to Good Friday services growing up because we have to kiss the cross. The same cross that some one thousand congregation members kiss, depending really on the size of the church you go to. After each peck, the alter servers would wipe the spot where the cross is kissed (usually the feet) with a piece of clothe or some cotton (which always looks dry, no alcohol whatsoever)... I've always loathed going for that service just for this reason. I tried kissing Jesus' knees, face and even once just gave a blowing kiss, in desperation to avoid the commonest spot where people kiss. I don't trust the alter servers cleaning techniques very much.



Yesterday I made a startling discovery. The queue for the veneration of the cross was super long because of the rain. They directed the congregation into the church instead of a different cross outside the church. So while my family waited for our turn, I flipped through the pages of the Holy Week booklet and read the section about the veneration of the cross, hoping to gain a little more insight into this practice which has become more of a tradition than a religious one.

The section read, "... make a simple genuflection or perform some other appropriate sign of reverence according to local custom, for example, kissing the cross."

Aiks! What do you mean for example, kissing the cross? You mean I didn't actualllly have to kiss the cross? I could have actually just genuflect all these years? AAARRRGGHHHH!

But I managed to keep myself composed and nudged my dad beside me and I asked both he and my mom to read that section which I had just read. "I'm not kissing the cross. It's gross." I declared. My dad whispered, "Yay, you can just bow your head if you want to..."

It takes them 25 years to tell me this. That's why I'm not wrong sometimes to argue with my parents about the church being irrelevant in my life nowadays. I don't relate at all to its rituals ( I wanted to say "witchcraft", but I got a scolding from my mum the last time when I used that terminology). So just to respect my mum...

Anyways, I didn't kiss the cross. This year I'm starting a new tradition of making respectful genuflection. That should be the local custom, for hygiene and health reasons. Period.

Speaking of health reasons, I'm dyeing my hair again tonight. I know, I know, AGAIN. For the first time in my 25 years, I'm actually unhappy with my current colour. I'm actually always embracing however the colour turn out, but this time I have to agree with my mum that I look like an orang utan, you know that dry orangey shade? Sooo... so I'm increasing my risk of getting bladder cancer tonight, all in the name of vanity. Really, not all doctors are very bright. :) Hehe.

Better get started with my hair. :) Before that, Happy Easter everyone! Don't believe the rumour taht it's canceled....

They found a replacement. :)

Nah... bad joke... really, Blessed Easter everyone!

No comments:

Blog Archive