Thursday, 20 April 2006

Happiness is a habit

It doesn't take a psychiatrist to come up with this. We decide whether we want to be happy when we wake up each morning.

"Good morning! Hey I want to be happy today!"

See... so easy.

I think that was my take home message from the almost 4-hour revision class today. ENT was a no brainer. Because I didn't know anything! Psychiatry was better because I spent 30mins going through some of my old notes before class. Then I know what Dr. G was trying to do, and I really appreciate him for that. He was trying to calm our nerves and pass on some life wisdom.

Dr. G and I have a love-hate relation (my delusion). When I was doing psychiatry for the first time in my 3rd year, I always had this overvalued idea that he was persecuting me. He's always singling me out in the class and making weird comments like, "Sharon's a good daughter", "Sharon's trying to be a good girl", "Sharon's very sheltered, so she doesn't know the hardships of life", "Ask Sharon... her English is better than mind", etc. Things like those. Then he made me almost cry in the clinic once for what something he said which I've subconsciously forgotten. But it was hurtful I remember. Then he apologized after the clinic.

Basically he was always attacking my character. Maybe he thought I was a spoilt rich girl or something. Maybe he felt some inferiority complex because Dr. G is special. He only has one ear.

One of my friends nudged me during our very first meeting with him and whispered in my ears, "Hey, ask him how he wears he stethoscope." Then giggled. Stupid friend.

But things got better in my final year. I find him changed, and very nurturing. And today, I thought he was sincerely hoping that we would make through life as happy as possible.

He's also very blunt. (Is that a good quality for a psychistrist?) He said blantly, "You won't need a lot of money if you have good mental health".

Sounds silly but it's profoundly true.

Anyways, Dr. G's would be a memorable character to me.

On a lighther note, my diet and exercise regime is coming along pretty well. Did 800 on the ropes and cycled 35km on the stationery yesterday. Did some crunches this morning and a nice stretching. Rememebered some useful techniques from my tennis days. It made so much difference to my day. Diet's a no brainer, just cutting down on carbs and sweets, and lots of water. But there's this issue of the Hacks sweets. Caffeine's already cut down 50% which is an amazing feat.



Hope to be rid of those excess soon!

Tonight is Medicine night. So it would be a long night. Happy studying guys! The rest, bonne nuit!

.

.

Sorry, can't resist. Some pictures.

For benefit of Chris. She was confused with the history of my hair colour. No more orang utan orange.

Was reading a book my sis recommended "What You Wear Can Change Your Life". Excellent book. 2 small tips. Round dangling earrings for a round chubby face, like mine, to make features sharper. (?)

Second tip. Thick ankles, wear half covered... to me that means Mary Janes... so I dugged into my shoe cabinet last night and found my very old Mary Janes... the sole came off late this morning. Gave me a high-stepping gait the whole day until class. Then decided to pull out the whole thing. Then Hema suggested I pull out the other side too, which I did. Now they are in the trash.

No comments:

Blog Archive