Saturday, 1 November 2008

Uterus, oncall and stupid people fighting over ciggies

It is days like today that I hate having a uterus. I'm oncall again and I'm bleeding torrentially. Good thing I'm not having bad cramps just on and off colicky discomfort. Luckily weather has been cool with light showers for the past 2 weeks. That makes my general demeanor borderline pleasant.

After my wonderful pair of Clarks was stolen from the hospital operation theatre changing room, my brown Hush Puppies pair has finally broken down on me. 2 nights ago during my call, a very busy one, halfway running between the 3rd and 5th floor attending to 2 trauma patients, my Hush Puppies sandals literally fell apart simultaneously. As the cases were emergencies and no time to attend to my shoes, I just grabbed a strip of the broadest elastoplast and tapped my battered sandals together and continued running furiously to prepare an assaulted thallasemic with hypersplenism suspected of intraabdominal bleed for an emergency laparatomy. Turned out the spleen was lacerated. Spleen removed. 2+1. Then on the 5th floor, a 16yo girl who was hit by a 3-tonne lorry I suspected internal bleeding as well because of the bruising on her abdomen. Bedside scan nothing. Proceeded with urgent CT, nothing. Lucky girl.

----------
My entry was interrupted by a referral. A 24yo man assaulted with a parang over his head. A HUGE, DEEP laceration wound with active bleeders. It is so messed up I can't find the bleeder in casualty and had to just pack it up. He's now waiting for OT call for a proper inspection and toilet and suturing in OT under general anesthesia. His Hb dropped from 11.8 to 7.3 in a couple of hours. And guess what the altercation was about... CIGARETTES! Yes fucking ciggies. I told you people here are stupid. He's illegal immigrant by the way. This is the thing here everyday. All these illegals fighting messing each other up and coming to the hospital using up our resources. Sigh. I just do my job as a health care provider, but personally, I'm very pissed off with their recklessness.

----------

Post-publish:

Intra-op of the idiot who got slashed by a parang over an argument about ciggies. A 5mm layer of his skull was incised with his scalp. My first.

IMG_0611

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be Halloween with all the gore. I cringed just by looking at that bloody foot. I can't even looked at my little rat terrier's half inch wound when I had her spayed last year.

savante said...

An argument over ciggies lead to that? The both of them should be smacked.

eThAn'S-mOm said...

ewwwwww....

Blog Archive