Monday, 17 November 2008

Child's play

IMG_0667

This 40yo man suffered a heart attack and was treated with streptokinase. 2 hours after the treatment, he was referred to me in the middle of the night with sudden drop of GCS. Urgent CT brain showed a massive left intraventricular bleed. OMG poor guy. The heart attack would have killed him but the treatment killed him instead. Intracranial bleed is a known side effect of streptokinase. No surgery could be done for him because of the streptokinase which was a huge risk of bleeding intraoperatively and because of the recent cardiac event. Basically he was sentenced to death. He asystoled twice and revived and hung on until the following day, when he expired in the ICU.

I'm counting down to my holiday 20 DECEMBER 2008. I'm just so tired of the continuous work and stressors at the moment. I'm now looking forward to my transfer to the Casualty Department in January 2009. After a lot of soul-searching, I've decided that I want to make the move and get on with my life. I've done the old-fashion tabulation of "pros" and "cons" of moving to the Casualty Department.

Cons
1) I'll miss ward work terribly, something that I'm actually quite good at
2) I'll definitely miss being oncall and attending to emergency surgical cases
3) I'll miss Mr. V and my colleagues whom I've grown fond of
4) I have to work shifts in Casualty department :( I prefer office hours and fixed oncalls

Pros
1) I'll get to do more postmortems!
2) It's been my intention from the start to get emergency department experience for my "back-up" future plan if my forensic aspiration doesn't work out
3) No more pesky relatives to deal with! (This is the bit I hate the most working in the wards)
4) I'll be able to take leave before CNY 2009 for a trip to Hong Kong with my housemate!
5) No need to work under Dragon King anymore haha and with my collegues who have blind loyalty (I love them but...)

So with my child's play tabulation of "pros" and "cons", I've decided my future for the next 6 months at least. :) I'm happy, so now I'll officially stop my stress-induced binging spree for the past 3 days with my low-fat marble chess cake from 7-Heaven. Yummy.

No comments:

Blog Archive