Tuesday, 28 October 2008

The tumour that gave me peace

28102008134

I purposely volunteered to assist in an anterior resection in OT today, eventhough I knew it would take HOURS (actually it took about 7 hours) just to escape the ward for a while after quite a horrific call. I was so sleepy and tired retracting the obese abdomen of a 70+ lady with a low rectal tumour (see picture above). Just wanted to be rid of the ward for a couple of hours. I only had about 2 hours of interrupted sleep last night. On my feet from 7am to 8pm, then had a quick shower and dinner then it was non-stop again. Upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage, followed by a 81yo man with a painful and throbbing abdominal artery aneurysm, followed by a cerebral concussion at 1am, followed by an obstructed hernia at 3am, then just when I thought I could rest finally at 4am, another referral from Casualty for a man who fell from height of 10 feet with cerebral concussion at 5am. The man said he fell because he saw a "benda halus". Ghost la. So what? Still have to watch your steps. By the time I was done, it was the next working day, and I had to start my morning rounds at 7am. So can you blame me for trying to escape the ward? It's quite nice the little peace and quiet.

No comments: