
The medical camp at Telupid this time around was well-organized and very efficient. We saw about 500 patients on the first day but didn't feel the load at all. The second session the following morning was a slower day, only about 150 patients. The medical team consisted of a pediatrician, ENT surgeon, opthalmologist, dermatologist, gynecologist and 5 GPs and medical officers. So the screening part was pretty easy. Ear complaint, ENT referral. Some menstrual complaints, gyne referral. Sexually active ladies, PAP smear and breast exams. I received referrals as well (haha!) just because I was the sole representative of the general hospital in Sandakan, the nearest referral hospital to Telupid, especially all the surgical cases! All I did was provide them with our clinic timing and op days, and usual elective op waiting time. :) I even had to reduce a 3rd degree hemorrhoid of an 81yo man on a dirty mattress on the floor. Luckily I stashed a few pairs of gloves from the hospital before the camp. :) Overall, I felt the vilagers in Telupid were healthy and way, way better off than villagers in Pensiangan and Paitan. Most of the ladies have yearly PAP smears, many men on regular follow-up for hypertension at the nearest clinic. I seriously did not see a single case of scabies during this camp, only a few by my colleagues. BIG suprise. When I was in Paitan, almost all the children had scabies.
1 comment:
3rd degree hemorrhoid ?
You are fearless !
Post a Comment