Monday, 20 October 2008

Cutting Department

My progress is rather slow in the surgical department. I’m into my 4th month and I’ve not done a single appendectomy. I’ve assisted in a few but just have not done any yet. I’m getting this feeling that I’m not learning the proper techniques from my colleagues who have their own individual “styles” that didn’t seem so fluid or clean to me. Haha. So I’m not feeling confident just yet. But I vow that by the end of this year, I would have perform my first full unassisted appendectomy. Tomorrow is elective surgery day, and there’s a man scheduled for excision of lipomatosis. So I’ve sort of “booked” him. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish my ward work in time for the case.
I’m supposed to give a public talk on breast cancer awareness this coming weekend. I was initially quite excited and pumped for the event until today when I showed my slides to my boss. I realized just how not nurturing he was. And he subconsciously enjoys being antagonistic and illogically critical towards everything. I’ve noticed this trait of his for quite a while in his interaction with my colleagues, but today I get to experience it myself. Oh well, wet blanket, whatever. Now I have a chore this weekend. Just want to get it over with. Remind me in the future not to agree for any more public health talks. It’s too stressful to prepare and just not worth the anguish, because it’s never ever going to be good enough for my boss. I just hope the public would learn a little something though.

No comments: