
I was watching ER just now. Saw the episode where Lizzie gave an overdosage of magnesium sulphate to a patient because she read the label wrongly as 5 instead of 50, after working 36hours straight. The patient went into cardiac arrest. Gave me an adrenaline rush watching that 40-sec scene. :) Call me an adrenaline junkie or a sadist but I wished I was there resuscitating the patient! And yesterday afternoon, I spent 6-suppose-to-be-boring-hours-in-locum reading my wrinkled ABC of Major Trauma book from med school, covering primary survey to head injuries to burns. And my hours just flew by! I'm anticipating my inevitable transfer to the hospital! My transfer has been approved! And I'm so excited! Hard work and lots of heartaches ahead, but I'm psychoing myself to face what I think would be much worse than my internship. Some people questioned my sanity for ditching my comfortable postion in the clinics and for going through the messy process of admin work for the transfer, but I just tell them that if I don't take the opportunity now and make that change in my current situation that I'm rotting away in, I might not be able to forgive myself next time. I want to dedicate this post to Bren who's been so open about her internal struggles with her job.
No comments:
Post a Comment