Saturday, 26 May 2007

Crossroads

So many things are going on at the moment.

My 90 something paternal grandfather, the only grandfather I've ever known, passed away 2 days ago, after a short battle with pneumonia and sepsis. Initially I wasn't planning to make the trip home to attend his funeral, but it's been bothering me. I feel unsettled. So I'm making that trip, eventhough I just flew home a week ago.

DSC02891-vi

My progress in my new posting is ok I guess. Working smart, not terribly hardworking. I guess this comes with seniority. Obstetrics have been my least favourite subject since med school, but I must admit that it's a very straightforward subject, so that's a plus point.

I have a big confession to make. I miss Paeds terribly. Not because I particularly dislike my current posting, but I just miss the work in Paeds, the whole nature of the discipline. I find myself stealing every opportunity to examine the newborns in the labour ward, competiting with my colleagues to resuscitate a flat baby, making every excuse in the book to go up to the NICU, just because I miss the incubators. Then I also miss the Thalassaemia clinic and all the children there that I see every 2-3weeks.

IMG_5263

IMG_5269

Then I've been thinking how I should put aside my earnings for my future like for my retirement and for buying a house in the future. A colleague of mine introduced me to investment in mutual funds or something like that which I thought sounded pretty safe and really really suitable for absolutely not finance savvy me.

I'm so tired now. I'll continue another day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heartiest condolence to you & family.

Take care & HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss...

savante said...

Condolences!

Sounds like you're really into paeds! Anyone taking exams soon? :)

Yee-chan said...

Dear Sharon,

I'm sorry to hear the news. My prayers go out to you and your family.

I haven't kept in touch with you for a long while... it's good to read that you're faring well in medic... I would love to see the newborns and children as well...

Keep up the good work, my dear! Take care, and keep in touch!