Stopped by the drive-thru MacD this morning on the way to work. Ordered a big breakfast or something and realized that my wallet wasn't in my bag. Shit. Called my apartment mate, who was running late for work, and hoping she was more late today so that she could find my wallet in the apartment for me.
But she was already in the apartment complex carpark when I got her on the line. So I just told her to drop by the drive-thru and pay my breakfast for me.
So malu.
So I was 10mins late for work, but to my surprise, the ward was empty when I got there. Not a single doctor in sight. Maybe it's the weekend syndrome in paeds.
Hmm... this wasn't the case when I was in surgery. Ok nm, next time no need to feel so anxious if I have valid reason of being late.
But I'm proud of this quality that I have, you know getting anxious when I'm running late or making people wait for me. Got it from my dad.
Anyways, got home after 1pm and found my wallet inside my room on the floor near the door. I can't imagine how that happened because as far as I could remember, I got home around 12MN last night, dropped my bag on top of my laundry basket and took a quick shower before passing out on my bed. Got up 6am, took shower and rushed to work. Didn't even open up my bag.
So the question is, "How did the wallet get out of my bag and landed on the floor?"
Creepy.
Anyways, I have my wallet now. That's the most important. And pay day yesterday! But crappy too because despite earning descently, I just don't have the time to enjoy it. I spend the most of food and petrol (now that I'm stuck in Likas, 12km from Penampang where I'm staying, making that 24km everyday).
---
I was tagging in NICU (Neonatal ICU) last night. It looked very serene with all the radiant warmers and incubators, and all the tiny babies in them. Very different from the regular wards. Was tagging a senior who took quite some time teaching me "survivor skills" in the NICU. And the blood-taking bit. ARRGGHHHH.
Imagine looking for a vein on a dorsum of a hand the size of your thumb. NOT fun.
But after last night, with the little pep talk from my senior, and also the motivation to just tread on, I'm feeling a little bit more optimistic going into my 1st weekend in paeds.
And maybe because my mood picked up a little bit after meeting up again with my surgery friends yesterday. Was in the main hospital for CME in the morning, and I had to settle a couple of paper work in the office, so I took the opportunity to attend the Surgery HO teaching. :)
Really miss the department. Miss the crazy haphazzard ward. Only now I realized how truly busy the surgery nurses are. A stark contrast to the paeds ward where everything and everyone is kinda slow-moving.
I'm still trying to adjust my hasty pace in the paeds ward to a more relaxed one.
---
I caught myself "playing" with a kid this morning. So geli come to think about it. But the 10-month-old girl was laughing AT me doing the peek-a-boo with her. So geli. She must be thinking that I'm such a silly doctor.
---
Then I found a new cause to champion for. Blood. There are too many thalassaemic children in the ward in heart failure, kept alive with anti-failure drugs waiting for suitable blood.
I'll never be eligible for blood donation as long as I'm still working as a HO because of the lack of sleep. Even as a medical student, I was rejected a couple of times because of I never get enough sleep. Then finally I was rejected because I got myself a tattoo. Need a year after tattoo to start donating again.
The other thing to champion for: thalassaemia screening and counseling, since it's sooooooooooo common here. A favour to those unborn children destined to live a life of frequent blood transfusions and finally succumbing to complications of multiple blood transfusions. And the anguish of their parents, and their lack of understanding of how scarce CDE-matched blood is, and the need for repeated blood-taking to constantly find the best matched blood.
I know that the trait is in my dad side of my family. Dad and sis have the trait. Me clear.
The battle of taking blood from a struggling and screaming child is physically draining, but the battle of bringing the parents onto your side, is both intellectually and emotionally draining.
"Balik-balik ambil darah..."
"Dahlah kurang darah, ambil darah dia lagi..."
"Perlukah cucuk dia doc? Dia takut bah doc..."
I know. I know. I know.
---
Stop here 1st. Sleepy. Want to take a nap.
No comments:
Post a Comment