Monday, 12 January 2009

Hypoglycemia

The hospital director announced during the houseman meeting that I was the Casualty and Forensic MO... so funny! Hahaha! Yes, I've been appointed to assist a Paediatrician to "manage" the coming housemen... had the first meeting today... I actually became the intermediary (is there such a word?) for the admin for housemen because I was the most junior MO there and just left housemanship recently. :) Anyways, since I'm not the main person in charge and it's a pediatrician who I know is very capable, so I decided to take up the challenge, after all the scheming to avoid the responsibility.

I saw a man in his 50's today who was brought in by family members for abnormal and agressive behaviour since last night. He has underlying hypertension and diabetes on treatment. Otherwise he was appparently well, no fever, just woke up in the morning and started to talk nonsense, punched his cousin once, falling of the bed, refusing food, beating his chest like a gorilla, farting loudly and laughing loudly after farting. After stat doses of haloperidol and diazepam, and physical restraint, we finally managed to get his blood for investigation. His blood sugar level was 1.5! IV D50% 50ml was administered immediately. He became completely normal after 10mins! OMG.

I've officially broken up with Mr V. :) I'm a free woman. I can smile again. xD

No comments: