I'm not feeling too well these couple of days. I can't sleep well. I get palpitations at night and even some breathlessness thinking about going to work and all that I have to do for the day. And I'm just so tired all the time and I'm having some degree of anhedonia.
I had a bad, bad call last night. Nobody died, but I was on my toes from 6pm when my call started right up to 5.30am the following morning. Admissions after admissions. I think my MO thought I was a little bit too slow in my work, but being the perfectionist that I can be, I wanted details. Now compounded with the missing a fast AF incident, I'm to the point of obsessive.
The GA MO oncall was bitchy, and 1 patient's op was canceled because the patient drank prior to being wheeled into OT, and she claimed that I did not instruct her not to eat or drink. But later she admitted to my MO that she forgot that she wasn't supposed to eat or drink, but that was after everyone in the OT was bitching about me.
That's not the worse part. Mr. V was oncall, and I thought I sort of asked a very stupid question. I almost died.
I kept on reassuring myself by saying, "Ask, and be a fool for 5 minutes. Don't ask, be a fool forever".
Problem is, I'm feeling like a fool for about 14 hours now.
I was so tired this morning when I finally completed the clerking, blood-taking, filling all the investigation forms and drug chart for the 4.30am admission around 5.30am, I felt like crying.
I can't face my 20+ patients in the Surgical Extension Ward.
I called my supervisor and explained to her that I can't work today. She was asking a lot of questions... URTI? Pain? Fever? Must get MC from casulty, she doesn't give leave to situations like mine... etc.
I told her frankly I'm not running a temperature, no URTI, no pain, no physical illness. I just can't work today because I'm just so tired.
"Sharon, are you in depression?"
"No, I'm just tired."
Finally after a 15mins phone call, she finally gave me the EL (Emergency Leave).
I got home and collapsed onto my bed, but the palpitations started again, and I swear I was breathing quite fast. I can't rest.
I got up. Took my bath. Sat down. Waited to around 8am and I called the Hospital and asked to be connected to the Psychiatry Clinic. I wanted an appointment.
3.30pm.
I'm scared that I might just lose it. My sis did several years back, and it traumatised me quite a bit. I'm scared. I just need some reassurance that I'm ok. And that everyone else was going through the same thing. Some reassurance that I'll be able to get through all these.
I wish I was a bird flying in the KK skies.
Wednesday, 20 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
►
2013
(1)
- ► April 2013 (1)
-
►
2011
(3)
- ► February 2011 (3)
-
►
2010
(6)
- ► February 2010 (1)
- ► January 2010 (3)
-
►
2009
(23)
- ► November 2009 (3)
- ► March 2009 (4)
- ► February 2009 (6)
- ► January 2009 (8)
-
►
2008
(84)
- ► December 2008 (5)
- ► November 2008 (15)
- ► October 2008 (12)
- ► September 2008 (12)
- ► August 2008 (2)
- ► April 2008 (4)
- ► March 2008 (6)
- ► January 2008 (5)
-
►
2007
(43)
- ► December 2007 (2)
- ► November 2007 (3)
- ► October 2007 (3)
- ► September 2007 (2)
- ► April 2007 (3)
- ► March 2007 (3)
- ► February 2007 (5)
- ► January 2007 (9)
-
▼
2006
(265)
- ▼ December 2006 (7)
- ► November 2006 (6)
- ► October 2006 (5)
- ► September 2006 (21)
- ► August 2006 (47)
- ► April 2006 (21)
- ► March 2006 (7)
- ► February 2006 (50)
- ► January 2006 (26)
-
►
2005
(76)
- ► December 2005 (29)
- ► November 2005 (39)
- ► October 2005 (8)
5 comments:
is there another intern u can talk to? I'm sure a lot of first year house surgeons go thru the same thing. My doctor friends all tell me their horror stories from first year, they laugh about it now but they were in tears back then.
I think ur a perfectionist and ur pushing urself really hard which is why ur getting all fluttery. Perhaps some relaxation techniques? Borrow a comedy dvd? Just anything to make u laugh or cry, I think once u let it out u'll be fine :)
hugssss. take care!
Hey!
Take it easy and take care!
Easy to say - but do lighten up, take a break and do take care!
There's more to life than life and deaths in hospitals.
You'll be alright lah!
i'm fine guys. thanks for the support and encouragement!
Take a break. You need it. Sounds like you're pretty stressed out over work.
I know what housemanship is like. Sometimes you feel like quitting and just leaving to start frying kway teow by the roadside for a living. It happens. The hours, the stress and the nasty MOs sometimes get to you. Which is why you need a band of intern friends around to help you through. Oddly enough I find that you haven't spoken up much about them! Surely there is some bond and camaraderie there?
I got through my houseman years with the help of my friends. Don't think I could have done it without them.
Paul
PS BTW GA MOs are supposed to be bitchy :P
paul: why should anyone be bitchy? and GA MOs are nothing. i really don't see why those in our field should treat each other so badly. it's uncivilized. i really have progressively reducing respect for this field.
Post a Comment